I get mixed results when trying to turn power save off, and or ping my laptop from the pi. What looked like a pattern last night appears to not be, but I’ve had random success with pinging and turning power save off indepently of each other.
If I can get the system into a state where I can ping the two devices, then I can obtain very low a very low latency video stream occaisonlly. I have two services running, one is a service that serves up webrtc and a second that reads the video, encodes and feeds it webrtc. Typically what I’ll see is webrtc reader is too slow errors when the video is uber laggy. I can usually recover by restarting services. What’s interesting is when I have the pi connected to my home network only, no halowlink involved I’ll get very low latency streaming all the time. I haven’t been able to pin down any type of pattern on the halow side to better understand what might be happening.
I haven’t been able to get a stable system where I can do some testing with range, where I’d need to power everything off batteries. CPU on the pi looks good, I’ve been running fans to keep the pi cold to the touch, and am running with a high amp power supply to rule out hardware issues on the pi.
Speaking generally, there are plenty of useful improvements in 2.0.1 which would be beneficial for you. However, I don’t expect these improvements to resolve the issues you are seeing. Up to you if you want to try updating.
If disabling powersave isn’t rectifying this, then we may need to look at address resolution issues. I suggested this before but I don’t think you tried it. Are you able to set up the network without connecting the Pi to 2.4 GHz at all, and maybe use a serial cable or a keyboard/screen for direct management of the Pi?
Connect the laptop to the HaLowLink LAN port via ethernet. Connect the RPi to the HaLowLink via the HaLow interface and see if you can ping between the two devices without 2.4 altogether. If you can, then test the stream in that local network you’ve created.
If this all functions fine, then we can explore some sysctl settings. If this doesn’t work then we can be confident it is the HaLow connection and not some combination of network settings causing issues.
@ajudge Using a hdmi cable and keyboard I can disconnect wlan0 2.4ghz wifi on the pi and bring up the halow2link on wlan1
pinging from pi to laptop will typically show x packets sent, 100 pct packet loss, somtimes icmp_seq=186 host unreachable. Traceroute will typically try 30 times and fail.
from the other direction sometimes successful ping, sometimes host unreacheable
a tracert from the laptop to pi did show 1 hop to pi5.
I can occaisonally get a video stream starting up over the web and that too is unpredictable.
I don’t know what this 192.167.12.197 device is, and why would a traceroute try to route through it?It shows a dhcp lease but not connected on 916hz or 2.4ghz
@ajudge Ok, the 192.168.12.197 ip is my ethernet cable on laptop connected to the lan port.
I’m now getting pretty good test resutls where after bringing up the pi, and connecting to halow with only the 916mhz radio and I can get pings and traceroutes to be successsuful, but only if I initiate a ping of google.com from the pi first. I retried one test and rebooted pi , connected only to 916mhz radio and turned off power saving and was able to ping. I will however see timeouts in the ping or traceroute. This does support the wlan1 being asleep.
Also, streaming will sometimes work, and it seems to be related to the speed of the link being two slow
My mediamtxService status reports reader is to slow, discarding frames. That could be any number of things causing it but when I connect my pi to another ssid and use a 5.8ghz network I get no frames dropped and the video shows very little latency.